Friday, November 13, 2009
Today was the first time I heard about Borek....Monika and Ashwin(foodies to the core with a high flying career in architecture) from Muscat.when I saw this pic...couldn't resist asking for the recipe....and my dear Brother In law obliged me...thanks Ashwin.thanks a lot.here is the recipe....in his words.
"Its a Mediterranean Lebanese dish
But i tweaked it a good bit, especially with butter
They add too much butter150 gm!!!"
400 gms of all-purpose flour
100gms butter melted
3 large white eggs
Suasage/ pepperoni / or any other prepared, cured meat to your taste
Rock salt-to taste
lemon pepper-to taste
Oregano –a pinch
Carom seeds/ajwain/bishops weed-a pinch
1. Take all-purpose flour in a bowl, add water to make smooth batter
2. Take another bowl add 250gms curd,3 large white eggs, include yolks and whites and add melted 100gms butter
3. Nicely mix these three ingredients to form a homogenous mixture
4. Now, take a baking tray size to suit quantity and depth of your oven
5. And take a tissue, wipe the container with which u melted the butter and apply grease to the base and sides of the tray(That’s a very nice Tip…No wastage and optimum utilization of resources .Hats off Chef Ashwin)
6. Next, Pour the flour batter evenly onto the tray.
7. Add suasage or any other prepared, cured meat cut into bite sized pieces and spread them evenly over the batter surface in the tray
8. Add rock salt/ lemon pepper to taste. Sprinkle evenly
9. Now slowly pour the Curd and Butter mixture to cover the top of this arrangement, again evenly
10. Now put the tray in a pre-heated 250 deg Celcius oven, for half an hour or till the top becomes golden brown and the test fork comes out clean.
11. And serve warm
12. Garnish with coriander, and add Ketchup on side with fresh cut veggies like cucumber and tomatoes
VOILA! Borek is ready! Enjoy!